This is the recipe for the red velvets; its flop proof and people go mad about them every time I make them. You can also get this recipe and others from my facebook page D.KOS unique Culinary Experience
Red Velvet Cupcakes (makes 12)
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
• 1.5 cups of cake flour
• 1 cup of sugar
• 10g cocoa (about 1/8 cup)
• 1/2 cup of milk
• 113g butter (at room temperature)
• 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Red food colouring (I use the cheap one you get in those small bottles from Pick n Pay or Spar, its gives the best bright red colour)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (Celsius).
- Set aside a 12-cup cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy and white (this should take about 3 minutes with an electric mixer).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each one is added.
- Add red food colouring(1 x small bottle) to the milk until the milk is bright red.( I use the cheap one you get in those small bottles from Pick n pay or Spar, its gives the best bright red colour)
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk.
- Now it’s time to spoon the batter into the cupcake liners. They should be about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean
Frosting – Cream cheese
1 tub of cream cheese
½ tub mascarpone
1tsp vanilla extract
½ cup icing sugar sifted (adjust to the sweetness you like)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Mix all the ingredients together and leave to thicken in fridge
Once the cupcakes are cooled dip them generously into the frosting mixture and cover with coarse desiccated coconut (optional) and enjoy!